12.16.2008

It's different.

It's hot here.
It's 16 December and it's hot.
And there's a beach outside my window.
And all the cars are driving on the other side of the road.
And there are no green dollar bills in my wallet.
And I live in a flat.
And I have roommates.
And I have to dial a lot of numbers to talk to my family.
And all the electrical sockets look weird.
And I talk differently than everybody on the outside.
...And did I mention it was hot?
That it was hot in December?

So I'm missing home a lot.  I think this feeling started back in October, because October starts my favorite time of the year.  Fall, football season, cooler weather, leaves, scarves, hot drinks, grey skies, holidays.
At least, that's what it's like back "home."
It's different here in the RSA.  A lot different.
I am learning so much.  Different isn't bad, it's just...different.  It is what it is.  I wanted to experience a new place, and I am experiencing it to its fullest - in all its difference.
It's hard, it hurts, and I miss you guys.
I love the packages and letters and cards that you send.  They give me the strangest feelings - joy at hearing from you, hurt that I can't be with you, determination to finish this thing, sadness because I miss you more than I thought possible.
Since we're telling the truth here, I should say that sometimes when I open the packages, I go through them and then I have to put the stuff away for a while, just because it makes me so sad.  But don't worry - a few days later, I always come back to it and appreciate it even more.
Adjusting, learning, trying, seeking, working, missing, deciding, doing, breathing - living.
Love you guys.  I'm going to try to get back into the swing of writing in here, so expect more of these, okay?
-Tara.


4 comments:

  1. It's cold here.
    It's 16 December and it's cold
    And there's a dead yard outside my window.
    And all the cars are driving in the middle of the road.
    And there are no dollar bills with wild animals on them in my wallet.
    And I live in a flat house.
    And I have no roommate.
    And I have to dial a lot of numbers to talk to my daughter.
    And all the electrical sockets in one bedroom are not being used.
    And I hope I talk differently than everybody on the outside.
    ...And did I mention it was too cold to snow?
    That it was cold in December?


    It's warm there!?!?!?!?!?!
    It's 16 December and it's warm?!
    And there's a beach beside the Indian Ocean outside your window!
    And you have a car that you can drive on the other side of the road!
    And there are blue, red, brown and orange rand notes in your wallet!
    And you get to live in a flat!
    And you have the best roommates!
    And you can dial a lot of numbers and get to talk to your family!
    And all the electrical sockets actually provide electricity!
    And you talk so sweetly that everyone on the outside recognizes you're different!
    ...And did you mention it was warm?
    That it was warm in December?


    Hey Girlie,

    We want you to know we feel that same pain too, and that we can sympathize with you. We fill most of the void with pride in you for what you are doing and for Who you are serving. We love the chats and webcam sessions with you when we can get them, but if truth is being told, they only leave us wanting more. We love when you upload new photos to the internet, so that we can get a peak at what's new in your life. Sometimes I have to quit looking at them because they make my eyes watery, but then I have to remind myself that you are serving a Higher purpose and that you are going to come home a much stronger Christian that I can hope to be. We miss you too, but we're so very proud of you!

    Love you girlie!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. To my dearest GRANDDAUGHTER who is a long way from me physically but near to me in my heart. I LOVE YOU AND I KNOW YOU LOVE ME. With this love we will make it until we see you in person. Did you hear it is cold here? Very cold, I'm sitting at this computer with a quilt wraped around me and the heat is set on 70 deg. I have been out of the house one time in last two days to go to the mail box. I hear it is hot there, wish you had some of this north wind. I love you more than words can say.
    Your Nannie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tara Ann, How are you girl? You should write a book about your experiences there, it would so be a best seller..I can just imagine the work your doing there and how your sweet smile and personality are making a difference in the lives of the people there, God is doing a mighty work through you over there, HE IS SO GOOD!! We miss you very much but know that you were called for a reason, to spread the word and bring others to Christ..We think of you daily and pray for your protection and health..Keep us all in your prayers and know that you are always in our thoughts!! Love ya, Sissy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tara,
    God bless you and all you stand for. I cannot imagine what you are feeling but I want you to know you are so special. God has put in you a great determination that will keep you in His pathway forever. Look upward, not to the sea, or the street or the walls around you but always to Him. Thank you for all you and your team have the courage to do. God Bless, Neysia,s Nanny Smith

    ReplyDelete