12.18.2008

There's a time.

It's a funny thing, irritation.

What's the line between irritation and anger?  When does frustration turn into wrath?  How do anger and wrath look different, and are irritation and frustration the same thing?

I'm just thinking all of these things because I was irritated, or frustrated, or whatever, just now.

And really, what a weird feeling.  That instantaneous, gut-clinching, wall-building, fist-raising feeling of "are you SERIOUS?"  I hate that feeling.

Which is why I'm trying to second-guess it, you know?  Decide if it's really worthwhile or not.

Because - as we all know - there is such a thing as anger that exists for stupid reasons.

It's hard to be frustrated and have to consciously decide, "I will let this go.  I will unclench the knots in my stomach.  I will not raise my voice, fist, or walls around my heart.  I will let it go, because chances are, it's not a big deal anyway."

There is a time to fight, and a time to just drop it.


In other news, I'm reading this book, Shantaram (by Gregory David Roberts).  I am pretty sure that it was written as a memoir, a true story about something that the author actually did.  He tells about how he was in prison in Australia - sentenced to twenty years because of armed robberies - and how he escaped over the front wall of the prison.  He went, as a fugitive, to Bombay, India.  I haven't gotten far enough in the book to know how long he stays there or what exactly happens, but I've read enough to know that he gets involved with the Bombay mafia, as a street fighter.  I'm going to put the first few sentences here, just to give you a feel for the book.


It took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured.  I realized, somehow, through the screaming in my mind, that even in that shackled, bloody helplessness, I was still free: free to hate the men who were torturing me, or to forgive them.  It doesn't sound like much, I know.  But in the flinch and bite of the chain, when it's all you've got, that freedom is a universe of possibility.  And the choice you make, between hating and forgiving, can become the story of your life.  

In my case, it's a long story, and a crowded one.  I was a revolutionary who lost his ideals in heroin, a philosopher who lost his integrity in crime, and a poet who lost his soul in a maximum-security prison...


This book, I'm telling you, is so good.  I wish I could write like he does, explain and describe like he does.  Part of me wishes I could go on adventures like he does, but the other part knows that I am just as content to sit here on my bed and read about them.

So I encourage you to go out and find a copy of this book, and read it.  Take it for what it's worth, but read it and soak it in.  We can learn a lot from what others go through.


That's all for today.  It's very humid and I'm thirsty.

Love you guys.

-Tara.

1 comment:

  1. Hey TootToot,
    Don't kid yourself girlie..You could write that book. YOu do have a way with words that when I read them I can see what is going on in my minds eye..
    What's the line between anger and irritation?? I would not be a good one to answer that because I have to ask myself that question many times, sometimes just in one day..Yes it is very hard to decide to let go of the frustration that builds in each of us..Sometimes I hold on and only hurt myself in order to not hurt the feelings of someone else. I do believe that is human and I try very hard to let go..We cant hold on and let go at the same time.. We have to let go of it all not just part of it..
    You will let go because you are you.
    Love talking with you the other day and glad I was up early so we could.. I miss you so very very much but know you are with me every minute of every hour of every day.. I see your face and hear your voice even though you are far away..You are doing a wonderful job where you are and we are all so very very proud of you..Proud of the wonderful person you are doing what God has sent you to do and in doing that becoming even more of a wonderful indiviual that touches more people than you can even imagine. You will see it will all be worth it..
    Miss you much and love you bunches.. Mamaw

    ReplyDelete